Monday, September 10, 2007

Why We Need a Draft

I agree with Mark Finelli on most of his points in the article "Why We Need a Draft: A Marine's Lament." He made a good point about how economics did not come in to play with the protective vehicles used in Iraq. It's sad that private companies can drive around in death proof vehicles while people who give their time and lives for their country, on a volunteer basis, die everyday because they are placed in situations or protective vehicles that don't give suitable protection.

He went on to explain that a volunteer military will never gain the kinds of tools private companies have until the wealthy hold more interest because their sons are on the battlefields. This makes sense because if the wealthy feel the pain others feel when loved ones are away at war maybe they would do something about the inefficiency of the military.

Mark stated in his article, "While America's bravest are in the military, America's brightest are not." When I first read this statement it seemed very bold but after reading on it makes sense. Many college students get out of war efforts through schooling excuses while the wealthy "buy their way out of serving." I don't see myself entering the military and I would want an excuse as well but his statement makes sense. A draft seems like the best solution to the problems with the military according to Mark Finelli; I just can't seem to agree. I can't see forcing someone into a role not suited for them and not wanted.

My question: If a draft was put into place would it include females?

No comments: