Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Left and Right Ends of Political Spectrum

On the first test, Political Quiz Show, I scored (-4.75, -2.72). Economically I am left and socially I am Libertarian. I most closely related with Gandhi who believed in the supreme power of the individual. Gandhi believed heavily in peaceful civil disobedience and a struggle towards civil rights (Wikipedia). I believe that people have the right to marry whom ever they choose, have an abortion, and make another other choice as long as it doesn't disrupt the civil rights of others. As the time changes and the years pass by, more and more new ideas and technology are expressed throughout society. Our government and country need to keep up with the of the rest of the world by allowing new ideas, new laws, and new customes under the Constitution. Providing more funding for stem cell research and alternative resources for oil help us expand into the present time.

On the Political Quiz Show my score was a nine. Most closely related with Hillary Clinton and very Liberal. Hillary Clinton, being very Liberal, is pro-choice. She is on the left side of the political spectrum. On the last quiz I scored a 39 with Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Barack Obama. I scored the highest with Dennis Kucinich, a score of 47. The issues we disagreed on were Iraq and social security, which I don't have much of an opinion on anyways considering I don't know enough about each issue. Next in line was Chris Dodd, a score of 42. We disagree on Iraq, social security and immigration. Out of my top five on this quiz they were all Democrats. In my top ten there were only two Republican Candidates. I agreed with candidates on issues involving choice, freedom, and civil rights. Issues such as; universal health care plan, provide funding for stem cell research, legalizing abortion, opposition to a constitutional amendment that defines marriage as something only between a man and a woman and opposition to the death penalty.

Overall I can say that I do agree more with the left side of the political spectrum. However, I am not a complete Liberal; there are some things I agree more with the conservative right side. I agree with the left side; the government should provide equal opportunities when it comes to services because it will help the average and poor. I agree with the right side and the idea that people make choices; some choose to become doctors and lawyers while others don't graduate high school and work a minimum wage job. It doesn't seem fair to tax the wealthy more in all cases such as the one I just mentioned and it should be a choice whether or not the wealthy give away money to help these people. I agree with the left side; the government should protect political rights but they should not intervene to the point where they infringe on civil rights. I disagree with the status quo on the right side of the political spectrum. There are no preferred values and the government has no place in exposing and using these values as a standard for the country. The government should act as a catalyst for change; time changes why don't we move with it.

Agreeing with both sides of the spectrum showed in another quiz where I scored as a Centrist. The results had said that Centrists try to keep an open mind and hold a middle ground on most issues. Sometimes they favor government intervention and other times they favor individual freedoms. They also tend to go with a "practical" solution rather than taking the side on a political extreme.

No comments: